“Beauty is an active, outward expression of everything you like about yourself.”
Dame Anita Roddick
FOUNDER OF THE BODY SHOP
We believe in the deep connection between mind, body and soul; and that changemaking starts within.
We work painstakingly to create hardworking products that are not only good for your body, delivering real benefits for beautiful skin, heroic hair and fabulous faces; but that also help you to feel love for yourself – real self-love - in a truly holistic way.
To make sure that all our new products deliver what you need (whether that’s help for dry skin, flaky scalps, blemished skin, or tone-specific makeup) and what we claim (nourishing, hydrating, moisturising or more resilient skin), we have a bundle of performance, safety and ethics criteria:
- At The Body Shop, we prioritise the use of natural ingredients, natural origin ingredients and those that are biodegradable, rooted in biotechnology and green chemistry, all from ethical and sustainable sources.
- We select the most powerful of nature’s change agents, the most potent bio-actives from plants.
- We concentrate bio-actives to deliver superior performance.
- We conduct clinicals with dermatologists, large consumer tests or advanced in vitro measures, to ensure that all our products deliver real skin benefits.
- 100% of the benefits we claim are scientifically supported.
- We continuously collaborate with Research and Development labs across Natura & co., to get the best from our experts in different scientific fields across the group. Joining our expertise for more powerful results for you just seems the smart thing to do.
- We don’t compromise on performance, efficacy or ethics. So, you don’t have to either. You get it all.
Not only that, but we also stay at the cutting edge of science, to push ourselves, for you, to reach new safety standards.
This means we have 1,835 banned or restricted ingredients. The majority of these are regulated by law but we feel we need to go further.
**And we will never formulate with these 11 questionable ingredients:**
Parabens, Mineral oils, Petrolatum derivatives, Formaldehyde donors, Cyclosiloxanes, Triclosan, Phthalates, Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), Cocamide DEA, MEA & MIPA, Methylisothiazolinone and genetically modified organisms.
Allied to Natura &Co. policy, and in accordance with the most stringent regulations - the EU Cosmetic Products Regulation - you can be confident that we are continuously monitoring scientific and regulatory updates on ingredients. This is to ensure that our products demonstrate no carcinogenic, mutagenic or reprotoxic effects.
We passionately strive to improve and update our knowledge and understanding in ingredient and product safety, as science progresses.
So, our list of restricted ingredients grows as information evolves, and as safer alternatives are discovered or produced.
We never stop pushing forward and creating an environment for positive changemaking.
We are always, always guided and motivated by science and not flimsy marketing arguments, polemics or diatribes.
All our formulae are reviewed by toxicology experts.
All our formulae are tested for safety by a dermatologist or an ophthalmologist.
**We have 10 points of control on ingredients and 18 for finished products, all together designed to guarantee consistently high standards of safety and performance.**
PROMOTING SELF-LOVE AND POSITIVITY, FOR MIND, BODY & SOUL
We will never, ever promote unattainable and toxic ideals of beauty, peddled by the beauty industry and some corners of social media and beauty culture. This means:
• We create products that really work. For you.
• We never retouch of manipulate bodies in the images that we create. Or promote impossible notions of perfection. Bodies are beautiful just the way they are.
• We encourage the concept of beauty as a holistic connection between mind, body and soul.
• We never overpromise on potency, power, potential or possibilities, by faking, fudging or falsifying.
• And we create effective, hardworking products and routines that also promote self-love.
We believe that what we do is more important than what we say.
Anyone can talk the talk.
When it comes to inclusivity, it’s no different.
It’s why we create genderless products for everyone.
It’s why we now test our products with panels of 100+ people, of different ethnicities and genders.
And it’s why our casting is diverse across genders, ethnicities, sexualities, body shapes and sizes. Because we know that society is beautifully, wonderfully and thrillingly varied.
So, why not open the door wide and celebrate it?
WE ARE ON A JOURNEY
But one thing is set in stone, everything we are doing is geared towards helping to make our world a bit fairer and a bit more beautiful, each and every day.
And creating real change. For you. For us all.
So, every ingredient we use and every new product we create is there because it works hard for your body, without compromising on safety and ethics.
And we will never lose sight of that.
At any cost.